Hi everyone! :)
Today I'll be reviewing the latest release from Maybelline New York, the LipGradation in shade Coral 01.
The lipgradations have been made to construct an ombre lip- i.e. while the centre of lips
have the most color, it is slightly blended out to the edges of the lip, creating a little
cloud of colour on the lips. It is very much the in-thing in the Korean beauty scene right
now (for anybody wondering why, they are the leaders when it comes to creating trends
in makeup: BB/CC creams, highlighters first all came from Korea)
Ombre lips or not, the lipgradation in itself is quite a good product, worthy on its own.
The lipgradations come in a dual ended tube packaging, one side carrying the lip
product, the other carrying the smudger. Both ends are housed in two different ends,
one transparent, the other matte black.
The lip colour is a very pretty dusty coral pink - a beautiful mix of pink and red, perfect
on fair to medium skin tones. It might look a bit stark on duskier tones though.
The lip product is very, very pigmented and very soft, if you apply much pressure, you
might end up breaking it, that's how soft it is. Once you apply, you'll realise it is
unnecessary to apply the lip product on the whole of lips, blending with the smudger
comes handy here. The finish is very matte, long staying and once blended, the creamy lip color settles to a powdery matte finish. It is surprisingly comfortable once dry,
however dry lips can just dab a bit of balm on top and they'll be set.
And here's my lip swatch:
The lip product stays long on the lips but doesn't survive meals, sadly. Thankfully it
doesn't stain and doesn't bleed and doesn't feather at all.
Here's my FOTD, simple clean lined eyes and the lip colour.
- Sturdy, travel friendly packaging, color coding makes it very useful to pick out a single shade if you've several from the range.
- The wide range of colors ensure that there will definitely be colours suited to most Indian skin tones.
- Very pigmented, easy to apply and blend with the smudger.
- The powdery matte finish doesn't shift or feather around or stain, definitely a winner here.
- The price: Rs 500 for such a good quality lip product, very well priced!
- The particular shade I reviewed, Coral 01, can wash out dusky skin tones.
- The lip product is very soft and prone to smudging on slight pressure.
- The matte finish can become a bit uncomfortable for dry lips.
- Rs 500 for just 2 grams of product is definitely not very value for money.
Verdict: At the price of Rs 500 for 2 grams, it is a bit pricey, however considering the
pigmentation, and the wide range of shades, and the texture, it is definitely worth trying
N.B: I had actually went to buy a lipstick from L'Oreal Paris La Vie en Rose, Eva's
Delicate Rose. The price point and the patchy pigmentation put me off, however I loved
the shade, so the helpful S.A. showed me this one, very very similar, at the fraction of
the price :P Same parent company, two products at two price points having same